So when Matt visited he had mentioned that it may be cool if I created an entry where I could share my take on all that has happened in the last 6 weeks since Gracie arrived. Melissa and I agreed. So....here it goes.
First off....THANK YOU to everyone that reads this blog on a regular basis. Melissa does a great job keeping it updated with the latest information. Also thank you to everyone that has helped us out over the last several weeks by visiting, bringing food, or just asked how we are doing. It means a lot to us to have such great friends and family.
Okay....where do I begin? I have been absolutely amazed at the strength of Melissa throughout the entire process (from carrying Grace to delivery to now motherhood). I always knew that she was destined to be a great mother, but she amazes me often with her patience and instincts. The day that Grace was born was a day that I will always remember as the day that Melissa showed me what kind of strength she really has.....I loved seeing that.
Since Grace has arrived, she has had me wrapped around her finger. I'm not sure if I would feel the same way if we were to have a baby boy, but having a girl has brought out protective instincts that I never knew I had. Melissa has to constantly tell me to take it one day at a time because I get so wrapped up in the future and how things are going to be (protecting her from boys, what I can teach her, etc.) I find myself starring at her all of the time thinking about what kind of person she will grow up to be....she is already showing us bits of her personality, which is very sweet.
Most people ask me about sleep deprivation and where I stand on that....well, I can tell you that it has been a work in progress. The first couple of weeks were not so bad because I think Melissa and I were riding on the adrenaline of being new parents. Lately though, we have desperately been seeking sleep anytime we can get it! With me being back at work Melissa has let me sleep a little more at night, but I still like to get up and help with a feeding here and there. Grace has actually been pretty good considering some of the horror stories I have heard about babies.
What an absolute joy Grace has been in my/our life....I never thought I could love someone so much! I look forward to the upcoming Christmas season with our new family and starting new traditions with our little girl!! It is a nice feeling to know that we have been blessed with such a beautiful and special baby. Melissa and I could not be happier. I look forward to posting again, but just wanted to say hello!! Hope everyone has a great Christmas. We will see you soon!!
